I wanted to make the last post one big post, however my instructions are all in French, making a task that was seemingly impossible at first that much harder. I have come to terms with the fact that my blog won't be as cute as my cousin Millie's however, this could have less to do with my technical capabilities and more with our differing subject matter. Alas, here they are, my pictures...
These two lovely ladies are Kathleen and Marryn. They are holding my birthday tart that we went to two patisseries to find. If you're wondering...it tasted better than it looks. Unbelievable, I know.
The girls thought it would be appropriate to sing happy birthday to me in English as though they were French. I think they were right. We didn't have any birthday candles so we improvised with some matches, I may never switch back.
Kathleen and I spent the better part of five minutes trying to figure out the placement and timing of a self-timered camera. As you can see we have a little more work to do. This is us right before we went to the 80's party. side note: had I known I would be going to an 80's party in France, I would have packed more clothes.
My french (well actually Canadian and American) guides. Waiting for the tram to take us to the 80's party
This is Marryn and I in the bathroom at the 80's party, after a reapplication of lipstick. Obviously a perfect time for a mirror photo.
Sunday, Kathleen and I were invited over by the English teacher, Rachel,at the lycee (high school) where she teaches, for lunch. Her house was wonderful, like most french homes it was modest. However, it was fairly modern in architecture and it sat upon a hill overlooking the town below and the mountains beyond. For lunch we ate Raclette, which is a traditional french meal similar to fondue except instead of dipping your food into cheese, you pour melted cheese over your food. Her family is adorable, she has a son, and daughter, and her husband is an author whose book has just been translated into English, be on the lookout, I'll ask again for the name. After this delicious meal we went on a short walk to a chateau near their house, this particular chateau used to be the home of a count, I learned this as our french hosts assured me that Chenonceau was much more magnificent, but that they were proud to have this so near. In this picture of Kathleen and I you can see it in the background. Sorry Baba, I can't remember the name of it.
This is the view from the right side of the chateau.
A picture of the Loire River (the longest river in France) from the chateau.
A lamp post Kathleen found particularly interesting.
I like this picture not only because it shows off my borrowed tennis shoes, but also because you can see the shadow of Kathleen's lamp on the wall.
Me and Rachel, even though she was unaware of the picture you can see how adorable and French she is.
After we went to the chateau we took a little trip to a tiny town whose name has escaped me, I think it may have been Chambles. We climbed up the Roman church tower and this is what we saw, the Loire River again.
Kathleen climbing down the tower, a rather scary experience. What you don't know (because of the flash) is that it was close to pitch black dark in there.
I have been fortunate to know Kathleen who has kept me entertained for the past few days. She has even let me borrow her season 1 of "Gilmore Girls" for when I'm in my closet of a room (pictures to come soon).
Today was my first day of class, and I spent the morning going from place to place filling out forms and being sent off to another place to fill out more forms in order for me to come back and get what I need. I officially have four forms of health insurance (one more on the way), housing insurance, and student insurance (which, apparently helps me in case of any kind of disturbance). I am in the process of getting a bank account for my stipend (WHAT WHAT!!) and filling out the forms for money from the government to help me pay for my housing, supposedly I will be getting 90 euro per month!! So after all is said and done, hopefully sooner rather than later, I will be one happy camper with enough money to go treat myself to a new European outfit, and if I'm lucky a crepe avec nutella et banane!
Your cousin Millie's blog will never be as cool as yours! I mean, the little extras on the side are in French, nuff said.
ReplyDelete