March 29, 2011

Livin' the college life

For the first time in what feels like forever I am living life the way a "typical" college student does (not that I wasn't before, this just feels a little over the top)  All of my classes are afternoon ones so I am finding myself waking up later and later everyday and today I actually took a nap! In my "normal" life my classes start in the morning and I am finished by early afternoon so I can either spend the rest of the afternoon babysitting or working on assignments.  In France I certainly am not babysitting and the school system works in such a way that you go to class once a week (I'm enrolled in 9 classes) the teacher lectures the entire time and at the end of the semester there is a giant final, with the exception of reading several books and attending class I do nothing that even remotely resembles schoolwork.  So what do I do with my time when I'm not traveling? (which I haven't in a while) Not much, but in the spirit of trying to keep the blog alive I'll give you a little taste. 

It keeps me connected...

I had 3 terrible weeks without it, but now it's back and I'm starting season 6 tonight!

If you aren't familiar with this symbol, you're welcome.  Every 4 months or so I rediscover how fun stumbleupon is.  I can spend hours hitting the "stumble" button to discover all of the cool, and strange things that the internet has to offer.  I've got my account set up to find the things that I find interesting like art and cooking so I know that for the most part my "stumbles" will interest me. Some of the better things I've "stumbled upon" lately are this and this. I could go on forever, but I am drawing the line with the leprechaun cake. I understand if you stop looking at my blog at this point, I guess I am the only one to blame.

Now, for the social aspect of my life.  With the lack of travel in my life and my extreme comfort here in St. Etienne I've begun to see what the nights have to offer.  For early nights we head to a bar, or have dinner in, but when we're feeling especially crazy we head out to the clubs.  They don't close until around 6 or 7, depending on the club. The only thing that keeps me out on the dance floor for so long is the promise of food.  My friend Amanda has introduced me to the late night (or early morning) quiche.  There is a boulangerie right by a tram stop on our way home from the clubs that will open its doors with a simple knock....okay sometimes we have to kick the kitchen door, but they don't mind...I have taken to ordering a quiche and a pizza because when push comes to shove I just can't make up my mind, it's worth it everytime. 

From the first magic quiche experience Kathleen, Amanda, Kerri, and Kristy waiting for it to open.

The magic quiche!

Bakery pizza is it's own category of pizza, and this one always hits the spot!

Acting like a college student is treating me well.  I spent this evening putting together my schedule for Agnes Scott next year, doing that made me appreciate my "semester off" however, I have scheduled almost all afternoon classes again. I guess all good things don't necessarily have to come to an end, or at least not too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment