This Sunday was different from the others I have experienced thus far. Normally, since everything is closed, I spend Sundays in my room watching Gilmore Girls, reading, journaling, cleaning, and emerge around dinner time to go eat with friends. I've actually grown kind of fond of my Sundays, they are a day that I can do everything I've been meaning to do during the week, but haven't had time to get to. This one felt especially needed, after my trips to Porto and Lyon I was desperate to recharge the batteries. However, the Sunday I got was much better than anticipated. I had been told about a big market that happens on Sunday mornings, and since I needed some food to hold me over until Monday I decided to go check it out. This market was much different than I expected, I was thinking I would find something like the Saturday green market at St. Phillips, a few farmers with their trucks and tents. Boy was I wrong! The St. Etienne market had roasting meats, freshly baked bread, produce tents that looked like the grocery store, jewelry, clothes, used books. The activity was enlivening, people were everywhere, and they all seemed to be in a good mood. When I spoke with my american accent people actually seemed to be endeared by me instead of annoyed or uninterested. So I walked home with a little hop in my step, thinking nothing but good thoughts on my way and I actually saw a girl skip out of the tabac all the way across the street to her car. Sundays are a good day! I got home unpacked my loot and started in on a wonderful fresh feast! While I was eating I got a text from my friend Kristy to go for a walk, I was a bit hesitant because my me time was being encroached upon, but I've found when you're living alone and abroad the opportunity to spend time with someone is always worth it, I could recharge later. Kristy, who is in a different department at school than I am has classes literally all over St. Etienne, had the idea to try and find a cemetery that she once found herself in by accident while she was trying to find her class. With her as my guide we walked up and down hills to find ourselves in the cemetery in what felt like no time at all.
Kristy insisted upon taking a picture of me at the cemetery, She said "come on, it'll be perfect for your blog!" Apparently I need to cut down on the blog talk..
I love this woman, she is fierce while still holding on to her femininity.
After the cemetery the day was still young, so we went further on to the Parc de l'Europe, the statue below is what greets you at the entrance.
This is Kristy and I having a little photo shoot at the park.
We each brought a little snack to share with one another, combined we had clementines and croissants, Mmm!
Now, I have a different kind of Sunday to look forward to. I will definitely be returning to the market for my produce and possibly an old tintin book. Living abroad is teaching me to let go, and I'm so thankful for it. As a matter of fact it's 12:40 on a Wednesday and I'm still in my pajamas, maybe Wednesday mornings can be my new Sunday!



I loved this post, I loved the pics and I loved your outfit, and of course I love you! xxx -Mo
ReplyDeleteLove your posts! So happy for you that you are enjoying everything! I especially enjoy the description of the foods and of course the pictures that go with them. Claire- did you know you had cauliflower planted in your garden at my house? It's up and growing...
ReplyDeleteLove you and keep the posts coming. Aunt Holly
You went to Parc de l'Europe!? We have to go! I don't know where it is, but I've been wanting to check it out ever since I picked up these postcards of Saint Etienne.
ReplyDeleteLove your yellow sweater/striped shirt combo. Super cute!
Aunt Holly- I kind of remember planting cauliflower,I'm glad it's coming up, enjoy it!!
ReplyDeleteVanessa- I will gladly go with you the way to Parc de l'Europe, it's nice, but certainly no Parc de tete d'Or.