In fact, I've been really busy not only eating pastries and cheese, but searching for an apartment in Lyon. Luckily, my terrific friend Kathleen and her roommate Fina have taken me in while I look. I'm looking with an American friend who tutored French with me at Agnes Scott, Kiegan, and a French girl named Sandie (pronounced Zandie). If you've ever watched house hunters international my life has been just like that except the person showing the house doesn't speak English and some of the apartments had no positive qualities. Some of them were hard to walk away from, but financial issues as well as proximity to public transportation are definitely not things to take lightly. After a lot of visits we walked into one and all three of us let out a sigh of relief. The apartment is about 3 minutes away from a metro and about 3 stops from the old part of town. It's in an adorable building surrounded by a little courtyard. It has three bedrooms and two terraces, we're in love. Luckily, after a lot of very confusing conversations with the agency we've been accepted! Thanks to absolutely ridiculous French ways of doing business we have to wait for Sandies parents to sign a form that apparently wont be ready until Friday, don't ask I can't explain. We can't move in until next Thursday, which means that by the end of this experience I will have been homeless for 3 weeks by the time we can move in. Which is absolutely fine with me because I'm getting to spend time with all kinds of people eating all kinds of food.
Sunday night I went to spend the night with one of my colleagues named Olivier and his wife Elizabeth and son William. Elizabeth made a delicious meal from the garden and our second course was fromage blanc from a local farmer. If you've never eaten fromage blanc, wait until you can have some like this. It was kind of a mix between cottage cheese and yogurt in texture and much more bland in taste, I added some sugar and was desperately sad when it was over. The next day Olivier took the scenic route to school and I answered questions in his class like "Have you gone on 'spring break' in Cancun?", "Do you have a gun in your house?", "Do Americans go to dinner then to a movie where they eat popcorn?" In case you were wondering what the French say about us, now you know. I went to two more classes with the other two English teachers and then they took me to lunch, which of course took about an hour and a half. After that I did some paperwork and was told to come back on Thursday. So tomorrow I am going to spend the day with Kiegan, for it's her birthday and back to school the next day!
As I'm not planning to travel as much I'm going to try and do my best to keep up with the interesting things going on in my day to day life. I hope that with some more stability i.e. an apartment I can post more often. Stay tuned.
Enjoy this year so much! I can't wait to hear more about it. I miss it and wish I could come visit. Your place sounds lovely!
ReplyDelete