April 19, 2013

Happiness

I have some posts in the "rough" stage, however, I don't think I could go to sleep tonight without sharing my past 24 hours with the world. They have been delightful!

Last night I met up with Baba and Mr. Bill on their river boat, where ones wine glass is literally never empty. We had a delicious meal enjoying the company of one another and two really lovely men, one of whom was 94 years old! Can you believe that? The conversation was delightful, just imagine what could happen with unlimited wine and an age span of 94 to 24. Enough said, I know.

This morning I woke up to yet another day of upsetting news headlines that accompany my alarm and was immediately put into a bad mood. I suppose my roommate Sandie was aware of the bad juju coming out of my room because I walked into the kitchen and she shouted "GOOD MORNING! I'm preparing waffles!!!" I should have known at this point that things were going uphill and fast!  I met up with Baba and Mr. Bill again and we ventured off the les halles de Bocuse, essentially a fancy indoor food market. We saw sheep kidneys, all kinds of sausage, Iberian ham (hoof included), and a pig head sans eyes, brain, and skull..(essentially the skin of a pigs head). Welcome to Lyon where nothing is wasted. After some more browsing and tasting Mr. Bill said "Well, Claire I don't think you can go off to school until you've shared a glass of wine with us." So at 11:30 we sat down at the bar and ordered 3 glasses of white wine that were filled to the very very top. Are you starting to understand why I had to share this day? As we're enjoying the wine I hear a little voice say "Claire?" turn around and see three of my students, it turns out one of my classes was on a field trip so in between sips we had little visitors. So fun!!!
As I downed my last gulp I ever so gracefully slid off the stool and practically ran to the metro in order to make my bus, two line switches and a to-go sandwich down I made my bus right on time. My first class (with my favorite students) went a little like this....

ME: "So what do you know already about this 'space hotel'? Would you go there?"
Them: "It's supposed to be made in 2016, they wont serve alcohol and you can't take showers."
ME: "Why the hell would you want to go there? Sounds terrible."
Them: "Yeah, and it's a million dollars to go for just 5 days!"
ME: "Okay, so who would go?"
Them: ...
ME: "Who would not go?"
Them:...
ME: "Guys, you have to have an opinion."
Them: "We're okay with a space hotel, just not this one"
ME: "Oh of course, silly me. So, I guess, let's plan our own space hotel. What would you have?"

This resulted in the most amazing space hotel ever, it included a terrific view as well as a swimming pool and water slide, laser tag(star wars themed, obvs!), a roller coaster that circled around the hotel,  library, spa, and mechanical bull. I figured my work there was done! Space heaven created.

After designing this magnificent hotel I went to my co-taught class where we work on practical restaurant duties, luckily, it's the same group of my favorite students and today we worked on hot drinks. Which means that I learned how to make a cappuccino, hot chocolate, espresso, and tea in a fancy restaurant setting. As well as the ins and outs of serving them. Thierry, my colleague brought a bag full of croissants with raspberry filling so the students read a text out loud while I enjoyed a cappuccino and pastry. Is this real life?

Class ended and my favorite favorite student, Maxime and I rode the bus home together while playing our favorite racing game together on our iPhones.

Regardless of whether or not the magnificence of my life the past few days has translated via typed word, The important thing is to remember how horribly the day began. I've been getting brought down by all of the devastating stories coming out of the states lately and I thought today, they might have finally won. With the help of my family, friends, and food I've managed to conquer the news, put it in its rightful place and continue on with my life smiling as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment